Unfortunately, many Californians from North to South are feeling the effects of the disastrous wildfires blazing down our great state. The combination of the Santa Ana winds and our desert climate is a hazardous mix and almost every year we experience some sort of wildfire. However, 2017 was an unusually busy year for our firefighters and the many out of area fighters that came to our aide. Though there is not much we can do to prevent mother nature, there are things you can do to make your house more ignition resistant.
1. Secure your roof. Believe it or not, but most wildfires ignite on roof first. The roof is the most vulnerable because of it's large surface area. Those made of metal or asphalt are, of course, far safer than those made of wood shingles. Check with a professional roofer or home inspector to ensure yours is up-to-date.
2. Add metal mesh to vents. The second way in which the house ignites happens when embers get into vents. Homes should have 1/8 inch metal screening over vents to prevent this.
3. Use tempered glass for windows. Windows fail because of the amount of heat in direct contact with the glass, resulting in shattering. Double pane windows can help this some, but, more importantly, tempered glass can prevent glass from fully breaking and allowing the heat to enter the home.
4. Clear vegetation. Combustible materials should be kept AT LEAST 5 feet from walls. For example, mulch is highly flammable. Not only can it catch fire, but it can help the fire to grow.
5. Avoid flammable patio furniture. Wood decks and furniture are, or course, the most vulnerable. if you're considering building a deck or replacing an existing one, build with ignition-resistant materials. The can prevent the spread of wildfire, will last longer, and require far less maintenance (think termites).
Author:Kurt Galitski Phone: 714-957-6677 Dated: January 16th 2018 Views: 76 About Kurt: After 15 years of founding and running a successful boutique real estate office in Costa Mesa as a l...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
With seven consecutive years of five-star status in Orange Coast Magazine, The Kurt Real Estate Group is among the elite. No matter where they’ve gone, they’ve set record sales. Whether you’re a buyer, seller, or investor, Kurt and his team work diligently, honestly, and with the utmost professionalism and are passionate about helping you achieve your real estate goals.
Kurt is ranked among the top two percent of Coldwell Banker agents nationwide. Kurt’s experience investing in and flipping homes and his connections with the Hollywood Film Industry give him an unparalleled edge and keen insight into market trends. The opportunity presented to you in working with Kurt is why The Kurt Real Estate Group is recognized as one of the top real estate teams in Orange County.
While there is some charm to a wildflower garden, most of us would pre
"Kurt Galitski is awesome. We needed our home sold as soon as possible. We sold our home in a month and a half. Kurt kept us advised about everything. We were advised by phone calls,texts, and emails through every step of the way. If in the future that I need to buy a home or anyone needing a realtor in the Orange County area I will refer Kurt Galitski"