11 TIPS ON PREPARING YOUR HOME FOR THE RAINImage titleIt's no secret that California has been in need of some serious downpour. After several years of severe drought, the wait is finally over and the much anticipated El Niño is here! Unfortunately, having experienced very little rain, most of our properties are ill-equipped for the water. After these first few massive storms, many of us are dealing with the repercussions. So before this next one hits, follow these preventative tips and enjoy the weather.
1. Fix your leaks. Dry heat causes wood structures to shrink and open up joints allowing for leaks. By now, you may have already begun to notice some moisture up above. Call a roofer to check for trouble spots and take a look at old leaks that may need a touch-up.
2. Clean out gutters and downspouts...more than once. You may have done this after the first rain, but once is not enough. Before the next storm, take some time to clean them out again. You'll be shocked how much debris has already accumulated.
3. If you're in an area prone to power outages, it may be wise to invest in a generator.
4. Install a sump pump. With enough rain, groundwater can start to flood your garage if there isn't already a drainage system in place.
5. Paint your trim. Cracks in wood trim can cause dry rot and termite infestation.
6. Check on your window glazing. Heat can cause the glazing to shrink and pull away from the glass panes allowing for condensation to get in between. You may want to have them re-glazed to prevent replacing the entire pane.
7. Check your balcony/deck slopes. Make sure the water drains away from the walls.
8. Exterminate. If the rain has brought about a pest problem, hire an exterminator.
9. Stock up on emergency repair materials. Handymen get bombarded during the stormy weather and may not be able to address your issue as timely as you would like or need. Have some materials on hand that you could make do with for the time being.
11. Drain some water from the pool. Pools can overflow much quicker than you might expect. Draining out some of the water ahead of time will prevent you from having to do so in the pouring rain.Taking preventative measures now will help you to avoid a headache or two later. Water damage can be a nightmare so don't let it get to that point.
Author:Justin Burnham Phone: 949-241-5005 Dated: February 22nd 2017 Views: 83 About Justin: Justin Burnham is a real estate veteran of over 10 years. As a life-long resident of Orange County, ...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
With seven consecutive years of five-star status in Orange Coast Magazine, The Kurt Real Estate Group is among the elite. No matter where they’ve gone, they’ve set record sales. Whether you’re a buyer, seller, or investor, Kurt and his team work diligently, honestly, and with the utmost professionalism and are passionate about helping you achieve your real estate goals.
Kurt is ranked among the top two percent of Coldwell Banker agents nationwide. Kurt’s experience investing in and flipping homes and his connections with the Hollywood Film Industry give him an unparalleled edge and keen insight into market trends. The opportunity presented to you in working with Kurt is why The Kurt Real Estate Group is recognized as one of the top real estate teams in Orange County.
"Liz is great!! Knowledgeable, reliable, ethical, organized and punctual - she is the best!
We just closed on a home that we love in Nellie Gail and we couldn’t be happier! We wouldn’t have been able to do it without Liz and the Kurt Real Estate Group making themselves available to us, helping show us so many properties, returning calls, returning texts and teaching us so many things we wouldn’t have even known in terms of location and red flags in different homes! With all of the unreliable and dishonest agents out there, I can say with confidence that it’d be a mistake not to choose Liz and the Kurt Real Estate Group for any of your real estate needs. They make the whole process so easy and they take pride in everything that they do. They will be our first call when the need arises again!
Thank you, Liz and the Kurt Real Estate Group! You are second to none!