Living in sunny SoCal has its perks, but it also comes with its costs. These last couple weeks we've been reminded of that with a few unexpectedly big jolts. But earthquakes aren't the only thing
7 Tips To Make Your Relocation Easier
As one of the preferred relocation agents in Orange County, we know what it takes to uproot your life and plant roots somewhere new. Maybe your job is relocating you or maybe you received another offer too good to be true. Maybe the move is due to family circumstances. Whatever the cause, there is a lot to consider when relocating. As a team that specializes in relocation we know this first-hand. Moving far from where you currently call home can feel stressful and overwhelming, but it can also be a positive experience when you take the right steps.
1. Have plenty of money available. If your job is relocating you, they may be paying for your moving costs and helping with temporary and long-term housing accommodations. Housing costs aside, there are a lot of other costs you should factor in. For example, will you need child care while packing/unpacking? Will you be needing to spend any nights in a hotel? Does your work cover these other costs? Plan for these expenses as much as you can and be sure to have your moving or signing bonuses addressed before beginning the move. Some companies do not start covering costs until you begin the job which could leave you in a dire situation if you're relying on that money to make the move.
2. Make sure everyone is on the same page. When moving to a new city, state, country, the imagination can run wild with expectations. Get your family on the same page regarding the details of your move and how things are going to go. One of the best ways to do this is to ask each of your family members what they hope to get out of the move. Then address which of these expectations are realistic. Moving causes emotions to run high, especially when relocating somewhere totally new.
3. Prepare your kids for stressors. Even the most jovial children will have some emotional reaction to moving. Often, a distant move is met with resistance. In their eyes, you aren't moving for an incredible new opportunity and a better way of life, you are taking them away from their friends and their way of life as they've always known it and this can be painful and terrifying for them. Try to maintain routine as much as you can throughout the move to give them some sense of normalcy.
4. Give yourself twice as much time than you think you need for pre-moving tasks. Moving always takes longer than expected. If you're not planning on hiring movers, give yourself plenty of extra time. Decluttering, purging, packing, and physically lifting boxes into a moving truck can be difficult, both emotionally and physically. Call your local thrift store or charities for help with "give aways." Many times they will come pick up any items you intend to donate such as lightly used, clean furniture, dishes/pots/pans, etc.
5. Visit the family doctor one last time. Giving one final visit to your doctor allows you to address any medical concerns you may have as well as refill on prescriptions. This is a great time to get a copy of your records too and ask for a recommendation (if they know someone in the area you are relocating to).
6. Stop by the auto shop. While you're getting your own check up, get your vehicles checked and tuned up before embarking on the journey. If you're driving this is particularly important. Inclement weather can make the journey far less enjoyable if its met with auto trouble. Nothing is more stressful than hopping into a car loaded with belongings, kids, and pets, only to find a service light come on your dash.
7. Keep your eye on the prize. It's important to remind yourself why you are making the move. What are the benefits driving this relocation? Repeat these to yourself as your mantra. When you're doing the big move all in one go, it can be incredibly stressful on both the mind and body. Letting this get the best of you can make the move disheartening not just for you, but for your family too. Keep positive!
Distinctive Strategies that Deliver Record-Setting Results When you combine Kurt’s passion and knowledge of the real estate market, you really gain an appreciation for what makes Kurt different. Bu....