The new year is upon us and, if you've read our last few blogs, we know that 2017 is going to be the year for many potential homebuyers. If you're one of them, you should begin planning for the home buying process now...even if you are months away from making a purchase.
1. Automate your savings for a down payment.The 20 percent down payment required by most lenders is a huge chunk of cash. If you're buying in Orange County where the median home price is over $600K, you're going to need upwards of $100K down. Since most of us aren't lottery winners, we need to start regularly saving. This can be difficult because we often lack accountability when other expenses arise that we could put our money towards. If you're serious about buying a home, the easiest and most effective way to do this is to automate your checking account to set aside a portion of your monthly payments.
2. Clean-up your credit.Your credit is the single most important factor in determining how much a creditor is willing to lend you and how high your interest rate will be. The lower your credit, the more difficult it will be for you to qualify and receive loan approval. Build your credit by regularly spending and paying off your credit cards and making consistent and timely payments on your car and/or student loans.
3. Live on a budget.Since you're looking to buy in 2017, now is the time to start being conservative. Compare buying vs. renting in the area that you're looking and weigh your options to determine what is most feasible for you financially. Anything you can cut back on now can go towards that down payment and will help to get you there quicker.
4. Get your handy on.Once you own, you are now responsible for fixing any and all maintenance issues like leaky faucets or electrical shorts. Serious issues like plumbing problems you may need to call a specialist, but for minor maintenance needs, you can save some money by fixing it yourself.
5. Prepare yourself to make an offer.Keep abreast of what's on the market in the area and price range that you're looking for. Having a solid understanding of what homes are selling for will help prepare and educate you on what you can afford and what would be a fair asking price. You don't want to go into the home buying process with unrealistic expectations or you'll end up sorely disappointed. Set your sights on something you realistically can afford.
Now that you're armed with these five tips, begin practicing and developing these habits. When buying time comes around, you'll be happy you did.
Author:Kurt Galitski DRE 01348644 Phone: 714-957-6677 Dated: December 29th 2016 Views: 297 About Kurt: After 15 years of founding and running a successful boutique real estate office in Costa Mesa as a l...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
With seven consecutive years of five-star status in Orange Coast Magazine, The Kurt Real Estate Group is among the elite. No matter where they’ve gone, they’ve set record sales. Whether you’re a buyer, seller, or investor, Kurt and his team work diligently, honestly, and with the utmost professionalism and are passionate about helping you achieve your real estate goals.
Kurt is ranked among the top two percent of Coldwell Banker agents nationwide. Kurt’s experience investing in and flipping homes and his connections with the Hollywood Film Industry give him an unparalleled edge and keen insight into market trends. The opportunity presented to you in working with Kurt is why The Kurt Real Estate Group is recognized as one of the top real estate teams in Orange County.
"Liz is great!! Knowledgeable, reliable, ethical, organized and punctual - she is the best!
We just closed on a home that we love in Nellie Gail and we couldn’t be happier! We wouldn’t have been able to do it without Liz and the Kurt Real Estate Group making themselves available to us, helping show us so many properties, returning calls, returning texts and teaching us so many things we wouldn’t have even known in terms of location and red flags in different homes! With all of the unreliable and dishonest agents out there, I can say with confidence that it’d be a mistake not to choose Liz and the Kurt Real Estate Group for any of your real estate needs. They make the whole process so easy and they take pride in everything that they do. They will be our first call when the need arises again!
Thank you, Liz and the Kurt Real Estate Group! You are second to none!